Friday, December 17, 2010

Junior College & Polytechnic Band Festival 2010 Concert

Back at the Esplanade once more, something I didn't really see coming at the start of the year.

Went to work super early in the morning, not really something I wanted, but sadly unavoidable. Following work, I headed for lunch with Jinjun and Shuotian, to Ippudo at Mandarin Gallery. While we were there, we bumped into Shelley, though not entirely by accident, and enjoyed some excellent Ramen.

Headed off to the Esplanade after that for the usual soundcheck and dinner, which was... passable, I suppose. Then followed a really long wait until the performance. We were to be the last item after intermission, so we had a long time.

Walking on stage for the first time since Limelight, I savoured the moment. The hall seemed fuller than I had expected, not that I expected much. Mr Seville walked onto the stage and lifted his baton for...
Ride, a piece that reminds me of Choo Wee's driving. This was fast, with changing key and time signatures left right center and justified. Still, we did manage to keep relatively together and I suppose it sounded good.


Suite on Celtic Folk Songs was next, a piece I'd played in Coda II 4 years ago, keeping up my traditions of always having repeated pieces. Pretty well done too, I suppose, we managed to sort out a lot of problems that were evident in the practices.

After that piece, the moment I was waiting for arrived. Mr Oura walked onto the stage, I stood, preparing myself for...












After the concert, I quickly packed up and rushed to RWinds, where I joined the others for supper. Ended up at Adam Road Food Center till about 2am, as seems to be usual these days.

Well, this has definitely been a tiring week, especially jugging work, RWinds and JCBF, and with JCBF pracs extending till 10+ at night. Still, I think the experience was definitely worth it, met a few people, improved myself and learnt some things. Of course, the main reason I went was well worth it, and more. Onward to Coda!



No comments: